1952 Topps Mante SGC 9.5

Taliasen

Administrator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
609   0   0
I thought “Mr. Mint” Al Rosen was a forgotten, taboo name in the hobby after his fraud and other charges.

Taliasen

Administrator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
609   0   0
I guess he was not charged for purchasing stolen property as he returned the stolen cards and cooperated with the FBI investigating the 1998 All-star cafe case. He had a track record for WAY undervaluing cards and collections he bought though. Many times taking advantage of peoples lack of hobby and card knowledge. Not illegal but dishonest and unethical in my opinion. I get buying low to sell high. I just personally feel that he was pretty shady in a lot of his business practices. Also when I was writing for Baseball Digest, I pre-arranged a meeting with him at a card show. I had clearly communicated multiple times my intention to interview him. I even submitted my questions and talking points ahead time for his approval. He approved to answer most of the questions I submitted to him. When I arrived at the pre approved meeting time and place with my credentials and badges clearly visible, and introduced myself, he took one look at me and told me to (literally) “f*** off.”

I do not like to speak ill of the dead, and I respect what he did to increase the popularity of the hobby. I am just not his biggest fan.