New to Hockey Card Collecting: Who's the Best Player to Start With?

HomeRunClub

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm relatively new to hockey card collecting, and I've been doing some research on which player's cards I should consider as a starting point. Hockey has always fascinated me, but the world of collecting seems vast, and I could use some guidance.

I know that Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux are considered hockey legends, but their cards can be quite pricey. As someone just dipping their toes into this hobby, I'd love to know your thoughts on who might be the best player to start collecting, considering factors like affordability, card availability, and potential for future value.

Do you have any personal recommendations for players who have a strong presence in the hobby but might be more accessible for beginners like myself? Also, any tips on where to find reliable sources for purchasing cards or trading within the community would be greatly appreciated.

bionic

Administrator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Absolutely, I couldn't agree more! Connor McDavid is undoubtedly one of the most exciting and talented players in the NHL today, making him a fantastic choice for collectors.

From his explosive speed to his extraordinary stick-handling skills, McDavid's on-ice prowess is a thing of beauty. He's consistently among the league leaders in points and has already achieved numerous accolades, including the Hart Trophy and Art Ross Trophy. As a collector, owning a piece of his career through trading cards or memorabilia is a great way to celebrate his incredible talent and achievements.

Furthermore, McDavid's marketability is off the charts. His popularity extends well beyond the hockey world, making his collectibles highly sought after by sports enthusiasts and collectors alike. Whether it's autographed jerseys, rookie cards, or even game-used equipment, there's a wide range of McDavid items to choose from, catering to collectors with various interests and budgets.

It's also worth noting that McDavid is still in the early stages of his career, which means there's a lot more to come from this hockey phenom. Collectors have the unique opportunity to follow his journey and watch as he continues to etch his name into the record books.

Of course, like with any collector's items, it's essential to do your research, verify authenticity, and consider the condition of the items you're interested in. The world of sports collectibles can be as thrilling as the games themselves, and owning a piece of Connor McDavid's legacy is a fantastic way to be a part of that excitement.

So, whether you're a die-hard hockey fan, a collector, or simply someone who appreciates greatness in sports, Connor McDavid is undeniably a fantastic player to collect. His impact on the sport and his potential for even greater achievements in the future make his collectibles a valuable addition to any collection.

Do you have any favorite McDavid collectibles in your collection, or are you on the hunt for something specific? Let's keep the discussion going and share our experiences as collectors!

Leafsfan1967

Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ben collecting hockey cards since 1971-72, and you can never go wrong collecting the Hall Of Fame players, whether it's rookies, game used, or autographs. It's really tough to collect the new young stars, as their card prices are inflated like crazy, right out of the gate. I really don't bother with the young guys any more.

I collect HOF autographs exclusively now, and if they happen to be deceased, all that much better. The deceased HOF stars of yesteryear will never depreciate in value, and have every chance of drastically increasing down the road. They aren't signing anymore cards, and once the abundance of their signatures on the market dry up, and disappear into personal collections, you'll see a demand down the line.

My best advice to you is to find a team you like, follow them, and find a player past, or present who you think has a chance to be a HOFer, and start collecting. This hobby can drain your wallet, so collect within your financial means, and the most important thing is to enjoy, and have fun.

I mentioned above that I only chase after HOF autos now, and well others prefer to collect the recent stars, it's what makes the most sense to me. If you are able to buy at reasonable prices, you will never lose money. My logic is this, and I understand others may think differently, but if I have a choice to spend $250 on an autographed card of Auston Matthews, or Conner McDavid, or Gordie Howe, or Maurice Richard, I taking the old, deceased HOF guys, every day of the week.

If you want to start of fslow, and pick up a couple HOF autos, start with Johnny Bower, or even Marcel Dionne, as you can get these reasonably cheap. As a matter of fact, Google the top 100 NHL scorers of all time, and take your pick, and research prices on EBAY. Buy singles, and build your collection over time. You'll never be finished, so take your time, and get stuff you'll think will appreciate at some point.

Buying Ovechkin stuff a few years ago was the way to go, but his stuff is crazy high now, as he approaches Gretzky's all time goal record. Some times the hobby requires some speculation skills, so if you see a young star you think has a shot of being a super star, grab some stuff. Buying Conner Bedard stuff will be expensive, look for another diamond in the rough from that draft. Most people will focus on Bedard, which leaves a chance to get cards of the other draftees at a reasonable price.

Good Luck! If you have any questions, give me a shout. I's be happy to help out any way I can.